Top 5 Tips for Staying Safe in the Sun:
- If you notice your skin changing color, at all, while you are outside, this means that you are not adequately protected. Look for a pink blush. This = DNA damage.
- Sunscreen only lasts 2 hours, max, even if it is waterproof. Re-apply every 2 hours.
- If you plan to swim, sweat, or get wet, then use a waterproof sunscreen. Otherwise it will drip right off.
- Understand that not all sunscreens are created equal. Some brands specialize in elegant formulations that won’t look white and cakey. One brand I like is EltaMD.
- Always seek shade. The best sun protection, at the end of the day, is to avoid direct sunlight from 10AM-3PM.