By Joan Gearin
Maria von Trapp, picture from her Declaration of Intention, dated January 21, 1944. (Records of District Courts associated with united states of america, RG 21)
We first saw the movie The noise of Music as being a child, probably into the belated 1960s. We liked the performing, and Maria ended up being so pretty and sort! I was struck and annoyed by the somewhat sanitized story of the von Trapp family it told, as well as the bad 1960s hairdos and costumes as I grew older, more aware of world history, and saturated by viewing the movie at least once yearly. “It is perhaps not historically accurate!” We’d protest, a little archivist in the generating. When you look at the very early 1970s We saw Maria von Trapp by herself on Dinah Shore’s tv series, and kid, had been she in contrast to the Julie Andrews form of Maria! She did not appear to be Julie, and she discovered as a force that is true of. In taking into consideration the fictionalized film version of Maria von Trapp when compared with this extremely Maria that is real von, We arrived to appreciate that the tale associated with the von Trapp family members ended up being most likely one thing nearer to human, and as a consequence far more interesting, compared to the film led me to think.
An element of the tale of this genuine von Trapp family members are located in the documents regarding the National Archives. If they fled the Nazi regime in Austria, the von Trapps traveled to America. Their entry in to the usa and their subsequent applications for citizenship are documented within the holdings associated with nationwide Archives and Records management.
Reality from Fiction
Whilst the Sound of Music was generally speaking in line with the very first element of Maria’s guide The tale for the Trapp Family Singers (posted in 1949), there have been numerous alterations and omissions.
- Maria stumbled on the von Trapp family members in 1926 as a tutor for starters associated with the young kiddies, Maria, who had been coping with scarlet temperature, much less governess to all or any the young ones.
- Maria and Georg hitched in 1927, 11 years ahead of the household left Austria, maybe maybe not prior to the Nazi takeover of Austria.
- Maria failed to marry Georg von Trapp because she was at love with him. As she stated inside her autobiography Maria, she fell deeply in love with the youngsters to start with sight, perhaps not their dad. As he asked her to marry him, she had not been certain that she should abandon her spiritual calling but had been advised by the nuns to complete God’s might and marry Georg. “we actually and certainly had not been in love. We liked him but did not love him. Nevertheless, we adored the young kids, therefore you might say we actually married the kids. . . . By and than I’ve ever liked before or after. by we discovered to love him more”
- There have been 10, perhaps perhaps not 7 von Trapp young ones.
- The names, many years, and sexes regarding the young kids had been changed.
- Your family had been musically inclined before Maria arrived, but she did help them learn to sing madrigals.
- Georg, not even close to being the detached, cold-blooded patriarch associated with the family members whom disapproved of music, as portrayed in the 1st 50 % of The Sound of Music, ended up being really a mild, warmhearted moms and dad whom enjoyed musical tasks together with household. While this noticeable improvement in their character may have designed for a better tale in emphasizing Maria’s healing impact on the von Trapps, it distressed their family members significantly.
- Your family failed to secretly escape on the Alps to freedom in Switzerland, holding their suitcases and musical instruments. As daughter Maria stated in a 2003 meeting printed in Opera Information, “We did inform individuals who we had been likely to America to sing. And now we would not climb up over hills along with our hefty suitcases and instruments. We left by train, pretending absolutely absolutely nothing.”
- The von Trapps traveled to Italy, maybe maybe not Switzerland. Georg was created in Zadar (now in Croatia), which at that right time had been an element of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Zadar became element of Italy in 1920, and Georg had been hence a citizen that is italian and their spouse and young ones too. Your family possessed an agreement with a booking that is american once they left Austria. They contacted the representative from Italy and asked for fare to America.
- Rather than the fictional Max Detweiler, pushy music promoter, the von Trapps’ priest, the Reverend Franz Wasner, acted as his or her musical manager for over two decades.
- Though she had been a caring and person that is loving Maria was not constantly because sweet as the fictional Maria. She had a tendency to erupt in annoyed outbursts composed of yelling, tossing things, and slamming doors. Her emotions would straight away be relieved and humor that is good, while other loved ones, specially her spouse, found it less an easy task to recover. Inside her 2003 meeting, younger Maria confirmed that her stepmother “had a dreadful mood. . . . And from 1 minute to another, you did not understand what hit her. We had been perhaps not familiar with this. But we took it just like a thunderstorm that could pass, considering that the next moment she might be good.”
The true von Trapps
Georg von Trapp, born in 1880, became a nationwide hero as a captain within the Austrian navy during World War I. He commanded submarines with valor and received the name of “Ritter” (knight), and later baron, as an incentive for their heroic achievements. Georg married Agathe Whitehead, the granddaughter of Robert Whitehead, the creator regarding the torpedo, in 1912. They’d seven kids together: Rupert, 1911–1992; Agathe, 1913–2010; Maria, 1914–2014; Werner, 1915–2007; Hedwig, 1917–1972; Johanna, 1919–1994; and Martina, 1921–1952. After World War I, Austria destroyed every one of its seaports, and Georg retired through the navy. Their spouse passed away in 1922 of scarlet temperature. Your family had been devastated by her death and not able to keep surviving in an accepted spot where that they had been therefore pleased, Georg offered their home in Pola (now Pula, Croatia) and purchased an property in Salzburg.
Photographs from von Trapp Declaration of Intention papers
(Records of District Courts associated with the usa, RG 21)
Maria Augusta Kutschera was created in Vienna, Austria, in 1905. She had been orphaned as a kid and grew up being an atheist and socialist by the relative that is abusive. While going to the State Teachers’ university of Progressive Education in Vienna, she inadvertently went to a Palm Sunday solution, thinking it to be a concert of Bach music, the place where a priest had been talking. Years later on she recalled inside her autobiography Maria, https://asianwifes.net/ “Now I experienced heard from my uncle that all these Bible stories had been inventions and legends that are old and that there isn’t a term of truth inside them. However the method this guy chatted simply swept me personally off my foot. I happened to be entirely overwhelmed.” Right after, Maria graduated from university, and thus of her awakening that is religious joined the Benedictine Abbey of Nonnberg in Salzburg as a newcomer. While she struggled using the unaccustomed guidelines and control, she considered that “These . . . 2 yrs had been actually essential to get my character that is twisted and overgrown self-will cut down seriously to size.”
But, her health endured not receiving the workout and oxygen to which she had been accustomed. Whenever Georg von Trapp approached the Reverend mom of this Abbey looking for an instructor for their ill child, Maria ended up being selected, partly due to her training and ability as an instructor, but additionally as a result of concern on her behalf wellness. She had been expected to stay because of the von Trapps for 10 months, during the end of which she’d formally go into the convent.
Maria tutored young Maria and create a caring and relationship that is loving most of the young ones. She enjoyed performing them involved in outdoor activities with them and getting. During this period, Georg fell deeply in love with Maria and asked her to remain with him and start to become a 2nd mother to their young ones. Of their proposition, Maria stated, “Jesus will need to have made him term it this way because if he had just expected me personally to marry him i would not need said yes.” Maria Kutschera and Georg von Trapp married in 1927. That they had three children together: Rosmarie, 1929– ; Eleonore, 1931– ; and Johannes, 1939–.